by Jan Vincent Ong
The hours you spend slaving away at your desk can make you feel like a castaway. Your cubicle is a little island hut that awaits the rescue of the 5’o clock bell. In your solitary space, you soon learn the adage “Live together, die alone” as your deadlines nears. You need toy friends on your isle of post-its and paperclips to give you a little nudge of inspiration.
Yet, not just any friend will do. You can’t have a Ridley Scott Alien wobbly standing by and trying to sip your coffee when you are not looking. And a Batman figure by experience has too many bat accessories bound to find its way to the dumpster. You need a pal that knows how to give you space, literally.
Enter your Funko Pop! Vinyl playmates. They are adorably detailed despite the small size, and beg for attention as soon as you plop down in your chair. The Funko cast spans a wide variety of franchises from Disney stars, NBA players, Punk gods, Marvel heroes to Muppets. Each one is delectable, and you can’t help but admire your favorites and keep them close by. They are also dangerously collectible as some Funkos characters beg to be beside their partners. How can have you have Kermit without Miss Piggy or Master Obi-Wan and not Padawan Luke? Seriously, dude.
I found my growing cast of friends (I currently own 6) to be more than plastic paperweights. They are true plastic pals who help me combat the daily grind in the following faithful ways:
1) Steamboat Mickey a.k.a Get your ass off Facebook Mickey: Look at his eyes and posture. They are more judgmental than any boss/teacher/parent who has told you to get a life. When the power of procrastination kicks in, Steamboat Mickey kicks it right back out.
2) Mahna Mahna a.k.a Hum away your worries Guy: Stuck on a proposal and need pause from staring at your screen? Mahna Mahna away your worries for a minute and get back on track.
3) Mike Wazowski a.k.a Gossip Watcher: Never be left out of office drama as Mike sees all and tells all. The all-seeing eye also keeps away pen snatchers who think no one is watching.
4) Yoda a.k.a W.W.Y.D What Would Yoda Do?: Ran out of wisdom on what decision to take next? Calm down, breathe, and look at Yoda. Then, ask “What would Yoda do?”
5) Iron Man a.k.a Desk Defender: When annoying officemates overstay there welcome, it is time to repulsor ray them back to their proper place.
Have Funko Friend too? Share how your plastic pal adds sunshine to your work day.
Funko Pop! Vinyls available at Toy Kingdom Megamall and specialty toy shops. Price Range: Php450-600
Jan Vincent S. Ong believes that the best source of joy and innovation come from a Happy Meal box. Furthermore, he knows that the cure to the ills of the world is somewhere inside Toy Kingdom. He can be reached at jvincentsong at gmail dot com
You must be logged in to post a comment.